Independent Status Reports
By Brian King
In these status reports, you see projects in various different stages of evolution, but from time to time some reach the magic version 1.0. It's nice to see a project come to maturity and reach its goals, validating the idea and Mozilla in general. In this report, you will see a couple of such projects, MozManual and Firebird Help.
Firebird Help - v1.0
(Help Extension until finalized for actual build)
Firebird Help has gone through an enormous amount of improvements from the previous update.
The Firebird Content Packs specification has been posted. It discusses how to create a content pack (a table of contents, HTML files, and other documentation) and how to integrate it into the Firebird Help viewer. Also, Seamonkey now contains support for the features discussed in the specification in the latest Mozilla nightly build (Mozilla 1.7 Alpha).
Firebird Help has now been checked into the Trunk and is now available in recent Firebird nightly builds! Bugs for Firebird Help on the trunk should be filed under the General component of Firebird for now. Make sure to CC email@example.com when filing! I'd like to thank all Firebird Help contributors for helping us make Firebird Help a fast, stable, and helpful product!
- Firebird Help 1.0: Firebird Help 1.0 has been released. This new release contains lots of documentation fixes and contains the latest Help Viewer API for Firebird. Also fixes issues with the index not displaying sub-entries and the glossary has been cleaned up significantly.
- Thunderbird Help 0.1 Alpha: An alpha release of the Help Viewer for Thunderbird. Has some basic Thunderbird documentation, but a long way to go. Use at your own risk.
- Firebird Help on the trunk: Firebird Help is now built by default in latest Firebird Nightly builds. See Bug 165960. Firebird 0.9 should be the first release with Firebird Help!
If you are interested in contributing Documentation or would like to know more information about the Firebird Help Viewer and how to use it, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
MacroTracker - v0.1a
(Local Bugzilla App (without server) in Java)
MacroTracker project was launched. The goal of this project is to create a local Bugzilla application in Java. This application will allow local Bugzilla-like installations that do not require a web server. This will make it easier for smaller programming projects that might not have enough resources for a local intranet server. In the future, we're hoping to have MacroTracker be able to interact with Bugzilla installations as well as its own Database format.
Currently, the application is in pre-alpha state and has only begun development. There are, however, some basic GUI forms and some classes started. Hopefully the UI will be connected within the next couple of weeks. If you are interested in helping develop the application in its pre-alpha state, send email to R.J. Keller.
xHermes 0.3 - pre3
(One click web access)
After some pretty long time xHermes code has been respun to work with latest Mozilla versions. Other than that there aren't too many changes right now.
- xHermes can be added and run from Sidebar again.
- Service files were moved to xservices directory (broken ones can be easily fixed).
- Few service files have been updated, two Polish email service were added.
We need to update existing and add some new services. Your help would be appreciated :)
an extension to Mozilla and Thunderbird for reading RSS feeds
I've released a new pre-alpha version of Forumzilla with the following changes:
- fixed the bug that caused Forumzilla to download feed entries multiple times;
- fixed the bug that broke feeds whose titles had certain characters in them (f.e. the asterisk in "adot's notblog*") on Windows;
- fixed the bug that caused some feed entries to display an incorrect timestamp;
- made it possible to stop receiving feeds by commenting out their entry in subscriptions.txt with a leading hash mark (#).
Next on the agenda, a subscriptions dialog for managing subscriptions so you don't have to hack subscriptions.txt.
wmlbrowser - v0.5
Display of WML content in Mozilla browsers
wmlbrowser 0.5 has been released.
This release gives much better integration with the browser - WML content appears in the main content area, and functionality such as Back/Forward, Reload, View Page Source now work.
(Actually Back/Forward still has some problems, but simple cases work.)
Additionally a couple more reported bugs were fixed: the browser now sends "text/vnd.wap.wml" as an accepted content type, and timer events in WML now work correctly.
Code for WBMP support is now checked in to wmlbrowser CVS, but built XPIs are not yet available.
MozManual - Final 1.0
(Introduction to Mozilla - A Manual for First Time Users; a brief overview and feature guide)
The final version 1.0 is now available. Translations into Dutch, French, German, and Spanish are in progress. See the project Notes page for details, and requests for translation help.
Advanced text editing for Firebird/Mozilla with a web development emphasis.
Some minor bugs were fixed to increase stability. Work has begun for version 0.1.2 to fix localization issues.
- Now works in Mozilla suite and Firebird.
- Edit in Tab, Window, or Sidebar options added.
- Enhancements to Emacs editing mode option added.