[Synckolab] Interoperability with Microsoft IMAP

Niko Berger niko.berger at corinis.com
Wed Mar 5 01:52:51 PST 2008

Sergey Koulik wrote:
> Hi Niko,
>
> I have been tracking evolution of your extension for a long time.
> My problem is that organization I work at is tied to Microsoft's
> solutions namely microsoft exchange server and outlook.
> I've being used thunderbird and I always missed server-side
> calendaring functionality.
> Your extension is promising for my needs. It works somehow for
> microsoft's IMAP server, but not very satisfactory.
> Please take a look at attached screenshots - you'll see problem with
> events/tasks titles. They are not recognized by microsoft's products.
> I use latest nightly build to test.
> I understand that you are focusing on other problems now, but this
> thing is a really must have at least for me. I can do additional
> testing and provide needed information - just drop a line to me.
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Sergey Koulik
Hi Sergey,
Since I do not own a Exchange license, I cant really help you there too
much. I don't know what format exchange/outlook require for the
icals/vcards in order to be recognized. Thats also the main flaw of the
ical/vcard format - it defines the structure, but not the vocabulary
(actually kinda similar to the current discussion about the Ms-ooxml
document format discussion going on).

Maybe this is only a small problem with mail headers or something like
that. What you could do is to get some mails together that are
recognized by outlook/exchange and send me these messages as
attachments. Then I can have a look at the mail structure and maybe find
something that will help with this problem.

niko