[Synckolab] bug ? appointments disappear

Niko Berger niko.berger at corinis.com
Wed Jun 6 06:05:11 PDT 2007

Andreas Gungl wrote:
> Am Tuesday 05 June 2007 schrieb Andre Dietrich:
>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> I think I found the reasons for both issues. Perhaps you can give me a
>> hint to solve them.
>>
>> 1) the reason that an x-day event with "all day" flag gets spanned on
>> reading over (x+1) days is in the following lines:
>>
>>     you save:
>>     calTools.js:733:    var endDate = event.endDate;
>>
>>     while you read:
>>     calTools.js:372:    event.endDate = string2CalDate(s);
>>                                  event.endDate.day += 1;
>>
>>     I 've read the kolab format-definition and think it lacks an exakt
>> definition of the date-only format.
>>     is a full day described by
>>
>>     Start: 20070606    End: 20070607
>>
>>     or even
>>
>>     Start: 20070606    End: 20070606 ?
>>

> Exactly, that's it:
>  <start-date>2007-06-20</start-date>
>  <end-date>2007-06-20</end-date>
>
> It's actually pretty well defined in the Kolab XML, it's simply a date
> without time extension.
>
> Actually I had it working at some point in time. In the logs there is a fix
> for "allday" mentioned which I'm not aware of and which might have
> introduced a problem.
>
> Currently I cannot access theSynckolab CVS to check the changes, but it must
> be something around the lines you've listed.
>

>>     But in the log I found the "event.endDate.day += 1;" moves the end
>> one day to far away:
>>
>> Parsing an XML event:
>> (...)
>>  <start-date>2007-06-04</start-date>
>>  <end-date>2007-06-05</end-date>
>> (...)
>>
>> Parsed event in ICAL:
>> (...)
>> DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20070604
>> DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20070606
>> (...)
>>
>> Commenting this day addition out seems to solve the bug.
>>

> That seems reasonable. I'll try it as well as soon as I have my notebook
> back. You can send a patch to Niko anyway, he can apply it and provide a
> new nightly build which fixes the problem for everybody.

Yea if you find something like that, please just submit a short patch
(if its something small its enough with the line and how it should look
like).
I will comment the "day+1" line out and release a new nightly -
(actually already done :P)

>> 2)
>> the reason for the second issue, the disappearing of appointments, seems
>> to be in the reloading of the imap-boxes. Caused by my VPN-connection to
>> my mailserver I sometimes have a reload-latency of about 2 or 3 seconds.
>> In the Log I found synckolab seeing only one mail in the imap-folder,
>> even if there were two - and so it decided to delete the local
>> appointment. The next time synckolab was syncronized, it recovered the
>> appointment. So it doesn't matter if they are icals or xmls.
>> I also recognized, that I am able to move Test-appointments into the
>> imap-folder without synckolab recognizing them.
>> Is it possible to refresh the folders before reading the 'mails' from it
>> and to let synckolab wait until Thunderbird finishes refreshing?
>>
>> I'll have a look for some procedures to call for this function - perhaps
>> you have a hint ?
>>

> I'm not familiar with most of the email part of the Synckolab
> implementation. My goal was mainly to improve the calendar sync to work
> with the Kolab XML format which is where I put my time into.
>
> So I can't give a reasonable answer here. Just some annotations from my
> side: I have all of the calendar folders marked for offline usage. This
> allows my to sync large calendars (for rooms or so) even without a network
> connection. But I use these calendars in read-only mode, I cannot write
> into the associated (shared) folders anyway.
> For my own calendar I'm having a full sync, but I'm still not satisfied with
> the stability of Synckolab - Kontact is definitely my main client for a
> Kolab server.

I will look deeper into the problem with disappearing mails. It just is
really hard to reproduce this, my only hope is, that there is either a
blocking or a status function that tells me if the refresh is in progress.
the only thing i do right now is compact the folder once i am done. but
apart from this, these issues are still unadressed.

Niko