[Synckolab] bug ? appointments disappear

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Tue Jun 5 22:11:40 PDT 2007

Am Tuesday 05 June 2007 schrieb Andre Dietrich:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I think I found the reasons for both issues. Perhaps you can give me a
> hint to solve them.
>
> 1) the reason that an x-day event with "all day" flag gets spanned on
> reading over (x+1) days is in the following lines:
>
>     you save:
>     calTools.js:733:    var endDate = event.endDate;
>
>     while you read:
>     calTools.js:372:    event.endDate = string2CalDate(s);
>                                  event.endDate.day += 1;
>
>     I 've read the kolab format-definition and think it lacks an exakt
> definition of the date-only format.
>     is a full day described by
>
>     Start: 20070606    End: 20070607
>
>     or even
>
>     Start: 20070606    End: 20070606 ?

Exactly, that's it:
 <start-date>2007-06-20</start-date>
 <end-date>2007-06-20</end-date>

It's actually pretty well defined in the Kolab XML, it's simply a date
without time extension.

Actually I had it working at some point in time. In the logs there is a fix
for "allday" mentioned which I'm not aware of and which might have
introduced a problem.

Currently I cannot access theSynckolab CVS to check the changes, but it must
be something around the lines you've listed.

>     But in the log I found the "event.endDate.day += 1;" moves the end
> one day to far away:
>
> Parsing an XML event:
> (...)
>  <start-date>2007-06-04</start-date>
>  <end-date>2007-06-05</end-date>
> (...)
>
> Parsed event in ICAL:
> (...)
> DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20070604
> DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20070606
> (...)
>
> Commenting this day addition out seems to solve the bug.

That seems reasonable. I'll try it as well as soon as I have my notebook
back. You can send a patch to Niko anyway, he can apply it and provide a
new nightly build which fixes the problem for everybody.

> 2)
> the reason for the second issue, the disappearing of appointments, seems
> to be in the reloading of the imap-boxes. Caused by my VPN-connection to
> my mailserver I sometimes have a reload-latency of about 2 or 3 seconds.
> In the Log I found synckolab seeing only one mail in the imap-folder,
> even if there were two - and so it decided to delete the local
> appointment. The next time synckolab was syncronized, it recovered the
> appointment. So it doesn't matter if they are icals or xmls.
> I also recognized, that I am able to move Test-appointments into the
> imap-folder without synckolab recognizing them.
> Is it possible to refresh the folders before reading the 'mails' from it
> and to let synckolab wait until Thunderbird finishes refreshing?
>
> I'll have a look for some procedures to call for this function - perhaps
> you have a hint ?

I'm not familiar with most of the email part of the Synckolab
implementation. My goal was mainly to improve the calendar sync to work
with the Kolab XML format which is where I put my time into.

So I can't give a reasonable answer here. Just some annotations from my
side: I have all of the calendar folders marked for offline usage. This
allows my to sync large calendars (for rooms or so) even without a network
connection. But I use these calendars in read-only mode, I cannot write
into the associated (shared) folders anyway.
For my own calendar I'm having a full sync, but I'm still not satisfied with
the stability of Synckolab - Kontact is definitely my main client for a
Kolab server.

> wish your notebook feels better soon :-)

I hope so as well. Perhaps I get it back today.

Andreas