[Synckolab] Thoughts/questions on development directions

Niko Berger niko.berger at corinis.com
Thu Apr 26 01:36:56 PDT 2007

Nik777 wrote:
> I have a couple of comments/questions regarding the future direction of
> synckolab:
>
> 1. Rather than an explicit sync operation, I would like to have my
> calendar updated automatically as new entries are posted to the server.
> Ie, in the same way that email is already handled. Basically, I don't
> want my users to be required to click the synckolab button. New
> appointments and meetings should just appear, and a notification
> graphic/image alert them to this fact.
> Is such an approach being considered?

For calendar this could be implemented, but its not planned right now -
one of the reasons being, that I want the whole sync process 100% stable
first. It shouldnt be hard to implement it that way after that.
> 2. Has anyone looked at using syncML for some or all of the sync processing?
> I have downloaded the Sync4J (now Funambol) adaptor for Kolab, and am
> hoping to enable our PDA users to sync with this.
> Instead of writing a sync engine and conversion routines for handling
> Kolab internal formats, would it be simpler and more robust to hook up
> to such a syncML server?
> That way synckolab could focus solely on the specifics of interfacing
> Thunderbird to the server without having to handle all the data
> conversions and the sync logic.

Afaik the syncml server isnt quite as  stable itself yet (might be wrong
doh) - on the other hand: by doing it the way its done right now,
synckolab can work without ANY server component at all (except imap) for
syncing - good for people who dont need a whole collaboration structure
but just want a few machines in sync. Plus I can easily add fix code for
certain quirks and features that kolab and/or functions in thunderbird
have (ie. support for mailing lists or fields that are non-standard).