[Synckolab] Thoughts/questions on development directions

Nik777 kolab at babel.homelinux.net
Wed Apr 25 23:05:53 PDT 2007

Hi All,

Firstly, let me congratulate you on how well synckolab waorks already at
this relatively early stage. I've only just started using this, although
I first downloaded it more than a year ago.

I've just synched my addressbook and calendar with my server for the
first time, and will shortly be testing with shared addressbook and
calendars.

I have a couple of comments/questions regarding the future direction of
synckolab:

1. Rather than an explicit sync operation, I would like to have my
calendar updated automatically as new entries are posted to the server.
Ie, in the same way that email is already handled. Basically, I don't
want my users to be required to click the synckolab button. New
appointments and meetings should just appear, and a notification
graphic/image alert them to this fact.
Is such an approach being considered?

2. Has anyone looked at using syncML for some or all of the sync processing?
I have downloaded the Sync4J (now Funambol) adaptor for Kolab, and am
hoping to enable our PDA users to sync with this.
Instead of writing a sync engine and conversion routines for handling
Kolab internal formats, would it be simpler and more robust to hook up
to such a syncML server?
That way synckolab could focus solely on the specifics of interfacing
Thunderbird to the server without having to handle all the data
conversions and the sync logic.

Thoughts anyone?

Once again, thanks for what already promises to be a major step forward
for my users,  which hopefully continues to evolve as it has to date.

Cheers!
Nik.