[Pyxpcomext] Display and Rendering Question

Todd Whiteman twhitema at yahoo.com.au
Thu Feb 25 14:16:39 PST 2010

On 10-02-25 11:44 AM, Peter Rust wrote:
> An alternative to writing the Javascript XPCOM wrapper would be to
> write the python in PyDOM instead of PyXPCOM, correct?

I think PyDOM has the same problem - it does not gain access to
JavaScript or most XBL variables. PyDOM works a little better than
PyXPCOM for the DOM manipulation because it automatically converts
certain XBL elements (like textbox) to their nsI* counterparts (like
nsIDOMXULTextBoxElement). But not all XBL elements are exposed through
XPCOM, such is the case for the <browser> element.

> And haven't you mentioned the possibility of 3rd option, a python
> implementation of NPObject <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/NPObject>
> that would overcome the limitations of both pyDOM and pyXPCOM,
> allowing interaction with both Javascript and the DOM?

Yes, hopefully an NPObject implementation will help overcome this barrier.

Cheers,
Todd