[Project_owners] Mozdev Organizational Changes

Philip Chee philip at aleytys.pc.my
Fri Oct 23 21:21:53 PDT 2009

I saw this on planet.mozilla.org

In the last 9 years, Mozdev has done a great deal to increase the
adoption of Mozilla technologies and promote the goals of the Mozilla
project.  We did this primarily by providing hosting and tools to
developers. Recently the Mozdev board members have come to the
conclusion though that the needs of the community have changed and
project hosting is no longer a problem for developers.  A number of free
sites (github, Google Code...) do a great job with this and the Mozilla
Add-ons site has evolved to become the hub for extension developers.

In light of this, the Mozdev board is seriously considering dismantling
the non-profit Mozdev Community Organization that runs the site.  The
overhead of running a legal organization is no longer justified and is
distracting attention away from the site itself.  We want the site to
continue to serve the needs of the community and think that handing
things to a new group of people who are passionate about Mozdev is the
best way to make this happen.

We need you! First, this does not mean that Mozdev is shutting down. We
are looking into creating a community council to replace the board of
directors and welcome you to join that group and help shape Mozdev's future.

Once again, we'd like to stress that the goal here is not to shut down
the site. We feel it still contains enormous value to our users. But
because of logistical issues we need to wind down the non-profit
structure and change the organizational nature of Mozdev. To get
involved, post a reply here or or send an email to the address listed on
the feedback page.

The Mozdev Board.

[ ]A wise man once said.... I don't know...
* TagZilla 0.066.6