[Project_owners] AMO trouble

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:51:36 PST 2009

> Yep. Now just wait 3 months (I'm not exaggerating) for the update to
> be approved and it will appear on the main listing.

Yes, Malte.

I am afraid you're right. I think there should be either a 2-tier system
for people who release often (I release on average once a month) or a
mentoring system, where reviewers who have already reviewed a version
get the option of reviewing new releases of their favorite plugin again
- wouldn't that save a lot of testing time? For us extension developers
I am sure it would be possible to make a case for how important a
particular bugfix / feature was... I have 3 new translators waiting for
their hard work to go online, a catastrophic bug in Linux (complete TB
crash) that was fixed weeks ago, and support for a new application
(SeaMonkey) - I got the call for a compatible version from the SeaMonkey
guys 2 or 3 weeks ago. I bet the new users would have loved to download
the plugin, but they can not see it because the current version (it is
the fourth release that is waiting for review) is hidden in the "old
versions" section.

I also think that unreviewed new versions of already reviewed extensions
should be featured more prominently on the AMO plugin pages, I tend to
get bug reports for stuff that I have fixed long ago and the ordinary
users don't know where to look. Seriously considering hosting elsewhere,
if it wasn't yet another leraning curve and possibly hosting
costs...1500 downloads per week kind of adds up over time...

why shouldn't it possible to contact a reviewer directly if he already
knows your plugin? It would surely make the review process more
efficient. The other thing that annoys me a little is that there are a
plethora of newbie plugins out there that pretty much don't add much
value to the host apps, and they are clogging up the whole system and
also obscure the good ones - it gets harder to find decent plugins for
the "background noise" of imitators etc. I don't know a solution against
this, because everybody should be able to contribute but the ones that
get most attention from their developers should also get the best chance
to be recognized? Naw, I don't know... as I said I haven't a solution.

Ever thought for yourself: I know the perfect plugin for my purpose is
out there,  I just have to find it?

> 2009/11/18 Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+mozdevnews at fastmail.fm
> <mailto:michaeljgruber+mozdevnews at fastmail.fm>
>
>     Only when I click on "show previous versions" (or something like that,
>     this is back-translated from l10n) the sandboxed version is shown as
>     experimental. I guess this is considered normal behavior.
>
> Yep. Now just wait 3 months (I'm not exaggerating) for the update to
> be approved and it will appear on the main listing.

==================================
Axel Grude
Senior Software Developer
GenBase Solutions Ltd
Registered in Ireland, No. 317957
Registered address:  Parkmore Business Park West, Galway.
www.genbase.ie
phone: 091 746 965

sig: try <http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/>  *firefox*. it supports www standards better!

disclaimer: personal opinion, not my employer's