[Project_owners] CVS trouble

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+mozdevnews at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 18 00:26:49 PST 2009

Doug Warner venit, vidit, dixit 17.11.2009 18:09:
> On 11/17/2009 11:38 AM, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> I'm trying to use mozdev's upload tool of choice (cvs...) to update my
>> extension web page and src. When trying a cvs commit, I get the
>> following for a file with updates:
>>
>> cvs commit: sticky tag `1.4' for file
>> `src/chrome/content/quotecollapse/quotecollapse.js' is not a branch
>> cvs [commit aborted]: correct above errors first!
>>
>> Can someone help me out please? This used to work.
>
> Are you using Eclipse?  I have problems with branches/tags in Eclipse.
>
> If not, try doing "cvs up -A" to reset your stick tags in your working directory.
>
> -Doug

Thanks for trying to help. I did that (already) and it worked.

I don't use Eclipse. I use cvs really only as an upload and download
tool. [Some may say that stresses its capabilities already ;)]

Most probably, I checked out a tag at one point and created what I now
know is a "sticky tag". I'd switch to hg (though I'm a git) in an
instant if it covered www+downloads in addition to src. I think I'll
really go for guerilla git on mozdev (driving cvs through git) and
report how it goes. I can't possibly mess up more with this then by
using cvs directly, given my demonstrated ignorance of cvs...

Michael