[Project_owners] CVS Troubles

David White whitedavidp at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 22:01:09 PDT 2009

Philip Chee wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 08:26:09 -0700 (PDT), David White wrote:
>> Hello and thanks in advance for your help...
>>
>> It has been a while since I needed to update my project's files. I use
>> WinCVS and am NOT very astute with it. I also recently had to update my
>> project's password. So I changed it (as best I could) in WinCVS. I find
>> that the login command seems to work (exit code 0). But when I try to
>
> The WinCVS UI is extremely opaque. You can actually type cvs commands in
> the I/O pane at the bottom half of the screen. Try to manually login
> there first.
>
>> update or commit a file, I get error code 1 and the following message:
>>
>> cvs [update aborted]: authorization failed: server mozdev.org rejected
>> access to /cvs for user whitedavidp
>
> On the other hand I think you need to point to the subdirectory where
> your project lives and not the root of the mozdev CVS server.
>
> Phil

Thanks for the response, Phil.

When I simply login, I get success (or at least a 0 error code) with:

cvs -d
:pserver;username=whitedavidp;password=xxxxxx;hostname=mozdev.org:/cvs
login
Logging in to :pserver:whitedavidp at mozdev.org:2401:/cvs

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

So it seems like the authentication works when pointing at the /cvs
path. But the update gets a non-zero result code:

cvs update -P -- index.html (in directory
D:\ThunderbirdBiff\MozDev\thunderbirdbiff\www)
cvs [update aborted]: authorization failed: server mozdev.org rejected
access to /cvs for user whitedavidp

I am frankly stumped here. Any help is appreciated.

David