[Project_owners] System Fonts

Neil neil at parkwaycc.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 01:54:58 PDT 2009

Joe Brochu wrote:

> I am looking for an easy way to get system fonts and sizes for
> explicitly setting box sizes within a stack to dynamically accommodate
> various native OS's.  Are there any shortcuts or global variables
> available within the Mozilla framework to reference this information?
>
> I could probably create a piece of dummy text with no formatting and
> get numbers from there, but I'm hoping for something more elegant.  I
> also don't want to redraw everything 3 times!

It's not clear what you're trying to do, but maybe you could add an
extra layer to your stack (but with visibility: hidden; so that it
doesn't paint) that includes your dummy text which will cause it to be
the correct size.

> I could also use something similar for getting scrollbar widths.

Perhaps you could include a xul:scrollbar element in your document and
measure that?