[Project_owners] multiple repos for a project

updatescanner at gmail.com updatescanner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 03:28:15 PDT 2008

Hi Doug,

Multiple hg repos would be useful for me.. mainly for work on multiple
branches, as you suggest.

As you suggest, named branches are one solution, but are not ideal. I'm no
hg expert, but there seem to be a number of people recommending using
multiple repos instead of named branches, for the following reasons:
* More difficult to selectively push/pull changes between branches
* Apparently the cgi scripts don't differentiate between named branches -
you just get a combined chronological list of changes to all named branches
* Can't delete (or hide) named branches
* Can't rename named branches

Named branches are more useful for tagging than for branching, but they're
stuch with a slightly misleading name!

Thanks for all your great work,
Pete