[Project_owners] Bug with command key in extension on Mac OS X

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 14:49:56 PDT 2008

Hi,

I have adopted this very simple Thunderbird project called ThreadKey,
that adds a key assignment to thread and unthread messages. This works,
but as it seems, on Mac OS it works a bit too good: A user reported that
when he's in the Quick Search box, he can't search for a 't' or 'u',
because my extension "steals" them.

I don't understand why my keys can't be typed there on Mac OS, but can
be typed on Windows. I have looked inside Thunderbird's jars to see what
happens there for a simliar key ('g'), if the command get disabled when
focus changes to another element, but I couldn't find it.

I can probably work around this, by adding an observer and disabling the
key, but I don't understand why it is needed for my keys and why I can't
find it for other keys. Am I doing something wrong, or do I look at the
wrong place to see how other keys are handled?

If you need to look at the source to help me, it's here:
<http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/threadkey/src/chrome/content/threadkey/mailWindowOverlayThreadKey.xul?rev=1.3>

Onno