[Project_owners] problem with first time extensioninstall(Windows)

massey massey at stlouis-shopper.com
Fri Nov 14 11:47:33 PST 2008

I think maybe the confusion here is how an xpi is installed by firefox.
If so just an overview:
- When firefox installs an xpi(extension) it gets unpaked into the user
profile ./extensions directory, on windows this is something like
c:\Documents and  Settings\Admin|\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXNNNXXN.default\extensions\ExtensionName.
Firefox does not use the windows registry to find/use extensions in a
normal scenario as far as I know.
- For firefox you need to install an xpi from a https server or the xpi
must be signed otherwise the install will fail. These things supposedly
make extensions safer to install.
- On firefox startup the users extensions directory is scanned for
extensions and those found get registered/used if the extension is
compatible.
- The xpinstall docs are hard to follow/find and put together to get a
good sense of how it all works. It just takes a lot of poking around.

Hope that helps