[Project_owners] problem with first time extension install (Windows)

can can at ecpcorp.net
Thu Nov 13 19:15:52 PST 2008

I am just learning about Firefox extensions, so I hope this is the appropriate list.  I spent quite a bit of time searching, and this seemed like the best place to start.  Please correct me if I should be posting elsewhere.

I am using Windows and Firefox 3.0.3.

I have managed to build an extension .xpi file which seems to install correctly "by hand."  That is, if, from within Firefox, I do:

  File -> Open File -> <browse to .xpi file>

the installation goes as I hope (after a warning and a Firefox restart, of course).

However, I would like to be able to install "automatically," via the Registry, as documented here:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Adding_Extensions_using_the_Windows_Registry

The instructions seem very simple, but nothing I have tried has worked.  I should note that I have tried putting the Registry entry under both "Mozilla\Firefox\Extensions" (as instructed on the page), and also under "Mozilla\Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3\extensions" which is the key that is created by the Firefox install.

I don't know how to go about trouble shooting this.  Can anyone help?

Thank you,
can