[Project_owners] some notes about file management

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Fri May 30 10:27:16 PDT 2008

alta88[nntp] wrote:
> i'm having trouble getting  MoreLayoutsforThunderbird released
> to the next version.  it's listed as No Extension, so there
> must be some error somewhere - where can one look?  it has a
> .xpi extension, version has gone to 2.0pre (for Tb3.0pre),
> min/max Tb is 3.0a1 to 3.0.* and i've added updateInfoURL.

Right now these errors aren't logged anywhere. Bringing it up here is
fine.

There was a problem yesterday that caused new files not to be parsed
properly. The problem has been fixed and files added since yesterday
have been re-parsed. Let me know if it still doesn't show up properly.

> in general, it feels clunky using File Management.
> 1.if i already have an updateInfoURL in the install.rdf, then
> on click of the url link it should show it in the dialog.

The em:updateInfoUrl isn't supported in install.rdf according to the
documentation on dev-mo [1]; if you have documentation that shows
otherwise I'd be glad to support it.

> if i cancel, it shouldn't say 'saved'.  did i save a blank?

I can't reproduce this; would you mind checking again?

> 2.if there's any parsing error etc. that fails the extension
> it has to be displayed.

I assume you mean when the extension is uploaded and fails to be parsed?

Right now the script that's responsible for parsing .xpi files doesn't
display any errors when the install.rdf can't be parsed as the only
place they would be displayed is in the CVS client. It might make sense
to log so we can display them in the file management tool beside the
file.

> 3.if an install.rdf contains an entry for updateURL pointing
> to a valid update.rdf, then perhaps a column can state that.
> only then would one need to Generate an update.rdf url..

Are you asking for validation of an extension's update.rdf, or just
checking that the file exists, or that it's pointing at the correct
mozdev.org generated file?

Right now we're generating an update.rdf regardless and the project
owner can choose to include it in their install.rdf. The link to
generate the update.rdf URL from an install.rdf is to allow developers
with new extensions get the URL to their mozdev.org-generated update.rdf
before they package their extension.

Thanks for the ideas and criticisms. Let us know if there's anything
else we can do to improve these tools.

-Doug

[1] http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/install.rdf