[Project_owners] Anyone interested? Extension Minimizer Tool

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Sun May 18 00:17:56 PDT 2008

Hi Eric,

This time I am hijacking your bug....

Your extension has 26 locales, all in the same xpi. The Mozilla apps are
distributed in English or a single other localization. Users can download
other localizations manually from
ftp://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/
<application>/releases/<version>/<platform>/xpi/

The problem with this, is that the extra localizations don't get updated
automatically. I have installed English (en-US) Firefox and Thunderbird with
added Dutch (nl) language pack.

Every time I upgrade Firefox or Thunderbird I have to go to above URL,
download the right language pack, install it and restart the application
again. On all the computers I work on. And keeping track of it. Did I do it
here or not yet?

I think it's a bug (or it would be an enhancement) if those extra locales
could also be updated, and will probably one day file my own bug for that (I
won't really hijack yours. If anyone else feels like adding the bug, be my
guest, the idea is open source...)

Anyway, I was also planning on writing an extension that would update the
locales for Firefox or Thunderbird for me. This would still require an extra
restart for the users, but it would make things better already.

Maybe this Locale Updater Extension could also be made suitable for updating
locales from add-ons. I am not sure if this would work. It may depend on the
order in which things are installed and executed, maybe Mozilla gives you an
error before being able to download the new locale because it already needs
a string new to the updated version before getting to the Updater Extension.
These problems could probably also turn up when updating the application
itself, so ideally it should all go in one stroke.

No idea when I'll file that bug or start working on such an extension, but
I've been bugged by this issue for a long time now and maybe now is the
time. Problem is I'm a bit pressed for time. So, again: if anyone things
this is a good idea, has the time for it, feel free to pick it up :-)

Onno