[Project_owners] Mozdev secure updates

Todd Whiteman twhitema at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:09:31 PDT 2008

Douglas E. Warner wrote:

The secure update feature is ready for POs to use and test.

The update.rdf files are generated when a file is released.  POs have the
option when they release files of adding the updateInfo URL as well (new
feature for Firefox 3).  For secure updates to work with Firefox 3 you also
need to make sure you verify the file hash.

I've begun playing with the secure update system just recently, trying to
test automatic updating inside of Firefox 3 (beta 5), but although I seem to
have followed the directions, Firefox keeps saying there is no update
available for my test extension.

Project:
https://www.mozdev.org/projects/overview/pyxpcomext/

I installed the following extension into Firefox (depends upon the PyXPCOM
extension):
http://downloads.mozdev.org/pyxpcomext/pyshell_0.2.xpi

then updated the extension through mozdev CVS, released version 0.3 through
the mozdev file management system and verified the hash:
http://downloads.mozdev.org/pyxpcomext/pyshell_0.3.xpi

The update.rdf seems to show the 0.3 version:
https://www.mozdev.org/p/updates/pyxpcomext/pyshell@twhiteman.netfirms.com/update.rdf

I can install the "pyshell_0.3.xpi" extension manually info Firefox, but
when asking Firefox to check for updates (from the 0.2 version), it states
there are no updates found.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

Thanks,
Todd