[Project_owners] Looking for testers for Mercurial at Mozdev

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Tue May 6 05:30:25 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 06 May 2008 08:16:20 Axel Hecht wrote:
> Not that I totally grok hg yet, but I have a question on branching.
> Usually the wording is "when you would usually branch, you use a
> separate rep in hg".
>
> Can mozdev support that pattern?

Yep; what they mean by that is you typically just clone the existing
repository (either from your local working copy or the central repo) and do
your "branch" work there.  You can later merge all the changes from the
working copy into your "branch" and commit the series back in without any
special branching commands.

That given, Mercurial also supports the regular branching and tagging concepts
where you branch inside a single working copy, so there are multiple ways of
going about this problem.

-Doug