[Project_owners] Secure installation of extensions, Project overview pages, and file release system

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 12:29:59 PDT 2008

Douglas E. Warner wrote:
> Mozdev.org has released a number of new features to allow projects to securely
> install their applications and allow users to find information about projects
> easier.
>
> Each project has an overview page that prominently displays links to all of a
> projects tools as well as highlighting each of a project's extensions and
> their latest releases.  Since this page is served from a secure site the
> extensions linked from this page make use of InstallTrigger to verify that
> the file is downloaded correctly by comparing the file's hash.
>
> Each project's overview page is at a URL with the following format:
> https://www.mozdev.org/projects/overview/PROJECT/
> ex: https://www.mozdev.org/projects/overview/www/
>
> In order to have your extensions linked from this page, you'll need to make
> use of our new file management tool to mark files as released and verify the
> hash for the file (documentation [2]):
> https://www.mozdev.org/profile/file_management.html
>
> Mozdev will be linking to the new project overview page from the main
> www.mozdev.org site in various locations such as the active project list and
> top 50 page.

But what if I need/want to add additional installation tip/information?

> We hope this new feature brings both project owners and users a new level of
> comfort knowing the extensions are installed properly and enables users to
> find project information more quickly.

Comfort is when things work and make things easier, but that is not the
case currently.  It might work, great, but I don't want people to
install from any location other than out installation page so I will not
use it/discourage people to use it.

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead