[Project_owners] Google Code or Mozdev?

David Boswell davidwboswell at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 09:44:33 PDT 2008

Will,

This is great information, so thanks for posting this.  I believe one
of the biggest benefits of mozdev over other hosting sites is that we
want the community to be involved in determining how the site should
evolve, so we welcome feedback and participation.

Some comments about your specific points are inline below.

> G.Code by default is much cleaner. MyCroft has the prominent mozdev
> sidebar which has nothing to do with the MyCroft project. This will
> confuse most users coming to the site for the first time.

I agree that the default project design isn't perfect.  We are planning
a redesign and will address this issue then.  I think it would make
sense to get rid of the mozdev-specific left nav on project pages and
have just a thin mozdev header at the top so there isn't any confusion
between project links and site-wide links.

> Google Groups archive is _much_ easier to search than pipermail. I
> also like ability to star a post (rather than reply with "me-too")

As Brian mentions there is a bug open for this.  If this is something
that project owners think is a high priority, we can move this up on
our roadmap.  We also welcome patches from project owners for bugs.

> For now it seems like Google Code wins on every point except Secure
> Updates.

I think that mozdev provides other benefits beyond just site
functionality.  For instance, the mozdev community is exclusively
focused on Mozilla development and mailing lists like this one are a
great resource for Mozilla developers.

David