[Project_owners] Google Code or Mozdev?

Will Moffat will_vmc at hamstersoup.com
Thu Mar 13 07:09:37 PDT 2008

Hello,

I've been trying to decide where I should host my new extension. I
thought my evaluation might be useful to other developers in the same
situation and also as feedback to the maintainers of Mozdev.org

(I should clarify that my users are not very computer literate)

Google Code or Mozdev?
======================

I compared two popular projects, MyCroft on Mozdev and MobileFinder
(not a Firefox extension) on Google Code.
I looked at the following aspects:

* Project homepage
G.Code: http://code.google.com/p/freebase-suggest/
Mozdev: http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

G.Code by default is much cleaner. MyCroft has the prominent mozdev
sidebar which has nothing to do with the MyCroft project. This will
confuse most users coming to the site for the first time.
However, other mozdev projects have better homepages (webmail, ietab)

* Support for FF3 Secure Updates
G.Code: Not ideal. The update.rdf and extension.xpi could be served
directly from the https web svn (by setting the svn mime-type) but
it's possible that Google would disapprove. There is a bug filed about
supporting .xpi downloads directly:
http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=142
Mozdev: Not yet, but working on providing secure updates (via https -
so no signing required?)

* mailing lists: (I need two: user + dev)
G.Groups: http://groups.google.com/group/firebug (different project)
Mozdev:  http://www.mozdev.org/pipermail/mycroft/
Google Groups archive is _much_ easier to search than pipermail. I
also like ability to star a post (rather than reply with "me-too")

* bug reporting
G.Code: http://code.google.com/p/mobilefinder/issues/entry
Mozdev: https://www.mozdev.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=mycroft

G.Code issue tracker is much more user-friendly than Bugzilla. There
is no chance my users would use Bugzilla, there's a small chance they
would use Google's Issue Tracker.

* SVN
G.Code: yes
Mozdev: no - (hopefully in a few weeks?)

CVS? Let's just say I've already suffered enough ;-)

Conclusions

For now it seems like Google Code wins on every point except Secure Updates.
But I'd be very interested to hear feedback from other people. What did I miss?

regards,
--Will

P.S. I appreciate the great work that goes into Mozdev.org, I hope you
find this feedback useful.