[Project_owners] Can't get update to work

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:10:52 PST 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Matthew Wilson <matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> Onno Ekker wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I thought I understood how Thunderbird checks for updates, but it
> > doesn't work for my extension, so I must do something wrong. I've looked
> > over it a couple of times, removed all the signing stuff, rereleased and
> > reinstalled original version, waited for mirrors to sync, etc, but it
> > still doesn't work.
> >
> > This is what I have done:
> > - forward-0.1-tb.xpi contains an install.rdf with updateurl
> > http://downloads.mozdev.org/forward/update.rdf
> > - update.rdf contains information for version 0.2, with updatelink
> > http://downloads.mozdev.org/forward/forward-0.2-tb.xpi
> > - forward-0.2-tb.xpi is the new version
> >
> > Do I misunderstand the way Thunderbird looks for updates, or doesn one
> > of the files contain wrong information?
>
> If I try to load your RDF in Firefox, I get Page Info showing that the
> content type is "application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml". This won't work I
> think; text/xml or text/rdf would be OK; I wouldn't be surprised if
> application/rdf+xml worked too now.
>
> Matthew

I think the "application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml" content-type gets added by
Firefox because of the file extension or the way files as served. If I
rename it to update.txt, Firefox displays its content type as plain/text.

Anyway, your comment sent me on the right track.
I rewrite the update.rdf, and changed my local extensions.rdf to point to
file:///... and it works with the new content. Seems I or McCoy changed the
format to something that wasn't supported.
And most of the docs are for Firefox and Thunderbird is lagging?

That leaves one question unanswered:
Can someone please tell me how I can debug/monitor the update process? That
is, on Windows, with a normal Thunderbird build? At the moment it's a
blackbox. I can't see what URL's it is checking and what it does with the
returned information...

Onno