[Project_owners] Replacement for mozdev.org templates

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 30 14:32:07 PDT 2008

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> Douglas E. Warner wrote:
>> On Sunday 29 June 2008 13:57:50 Michael Vincent van Rantwijk,
>> MultiZilla wrote:
>>> I have setup a local Apache2/PHP5 server because I want to work/test my
>>> changes for the website locally, but I don't have the mozdev.org
>>> templates and thus I need a quick and easy way to get: head.txt,
>>> html_body.html, project_nav.html and footer.html included in all pages,
>>> but without having to change all HTML files first.
>>>
>>> The question is: Is this possible?  What do I need for this?
>>
>> There are several projects that control how projects' pages are
>> displayed and how they get rendered.
>>
>> The first is the Hovercraft project; it contains the actual templating
>> engine; you can view it here:
>> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/hovercraft/sandbox/php/
>
> Ah, the mysterious Hovercraft project. I tried to setup this beast last
> year already, but I failed. Also, there seems to be a lot of old files.
>  Time for a cleanup?
>
>> The base templates that are used throughout are in the look project;
>> you can find them here:
>> http://www.mozdev.org/source/browse/look/www/org/helm/common/templates/
>
> Now these look simple. Should be easy to implement. Thanks for the pointer.
>
>> When requests come in, they all get rewritten to the
>> hovercraft/sandbox/php/index.php page.  It takes in two main GET
>> strings - project and page.  A sample rewritten request looks like this:
>> /index.php?project=www&page=/index.html
>
> Oh dear. Apache's dreadful mod_rewrite I just got to master this one day
> soon.

Note: mod_rewrite works.  I've added a few test rules to rewrite
sites/pages but I am still trying to solve the puzzle for the above rewrite.

>> We don't currently have the rewrite rules available in CVS yet; that's
>> something we're still working on.
>
> That would most certainly be a big help to me.
>
>> I'm not sure if that's enough information to get things working, but
>> try checking those two projects out and see if that helps at all.
>>
>> -Doug
>
> I have all files now, but I am stuck once again not knowing how to
> include: /usr/local/sandbox/php/include/globals.h (local.conf?).

I looked again, with help of Doug of course, and it turned out to be a
simple error.

Yeah, I am getting more grip on it. The good thing is that it isn't that
difficult after all. I should relax/slowdown and give things like this a
little more time to sink in properly ;)

Thanks Doug!

Michael