[Project_owners] AMO : Improving the Review/Editorial Process

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Thu Jul 17 13:44:53 PDT 2008

Hi,

> I don't agree with John Woods that we should auto-publicize extensions
> that languish in the sandbox, but I do think we should recognize that
> review, as currently constituted, does not accomplish the goal of
> expediently publicizing good extensions (nor, for that matter, filtering
> bad ones), and AMO should be looking for ways to accomplish that goal
> outside of the current review system.

I fully agree here. Maybe we can be more aggressive on making a number
of developers "trusted", meaning they can circumvent the sandbox, if
they get enough reviews that are positive enough or have provided
well-reviewed add-ons for a certain time, kept track with current
releases of the respective products, etc.
This might reduce the number of add-ons that even need review while
still keeping a level of security and trust on AMO.
We should not play lightheartedly with trust, but I think there are
certain criteria we can derive such trust from, and a huge number of the
regulars in here for example would surely be trustworthy enough to get
their stuff public without peer review.
We probably should concentrate the sandbox and reviews more on those in
the add-ons community that are not that experienced and not that
well-known instead of burdening those people with it of which we
actually know that they are trying to make the best and most trustworthy
add-ons they are able to produce, and have shown that for quite some time.

Robert Kaiser