[Project_owners] AMO vs. mozdev was: Awaiting extension upgrade approval

John Woods johnrw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:25:28 PDT 2008

Well I did some reading... and there is a way for "some" authors to
have automatic
approval... if an author requests it. I think the email address is
amo-editors at mozilla.org
or editors-amo at mozilla.org or some such. My extension is the thirty
third one ever hosted
by update.mozilla.org... and since I have been through most of the
growing pains as alot of
us here have been...  I don't like being forced to beg by some Johnny
come latelies for a
compatibility release approval.

I refuse to do it.

Someone wants to challenge my reputation... fine. Do it.
But don't leave my stuff in http://purgatory.addons.mozilla.org
while approving someone who begs better but has been in the queue
a shorter time than mine as happened on THIS list this morning...

Here is my way to avoid this...
Automatic approval based on time expiration...
If I submit on July 1, amo has 2 weeks to review it.
(It should even publish an email of extensions reaching automatic
approval to it's own Editors so they can act on unknown extensions.)

Problems solved... and I can upload it and forget it... instead of
seeing reviews that say great... but still no cigar on approval.

Amo is not supposed to stand in the way of extensions THEY
don't like or care about... (it is those users that matter most, right?)

Compatibility releases are for the users that ALREADY have
an extension installed... but disabled by Master Browser....

Either make amo work... in an unbiased way... or hire people
to do the job. 8 million downloads in a day... with a greater and greater
load of extension dependency, and it's approval process falling on volunteers
is plainly not sufficient.

I raised this issue once before... and someone from mozilla.org assured
me mozilla had hired more people for the review process.

Btw, Since I recently discovered that google cuts mozilla.org
advertisement revenue
for searches originating from the built in search box... I finally
understand why
the Googlebar got so "unloved" over there. Even still, the built in
Search Box...
can't touch the utility value of the Googlebar.

Sorry for unloading on ya... :)
John