[Project_owners] AMO vs. mozdev was: Awaiting extension upgrade approval

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Tue Jul 8 10:24:46 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 12:53:23 John Woods wrote:
> It has no scarry scarry messages about bad extensions... like mozdev
> gets...
> ie it is whitelisted by default... mozdev is not.

About this; Mozdev *does* provide a mechanism for secure installs and updates
now, but we still get the initial warning about installing an extension from
an untrusted host.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to create an extension that would add
mozdev.org as a trusted source in Firefox?  We could host this on AMO so
extension developers on Mozdev would only need to require this extension
before doing installs from Mozdev.org

If the warning about installing from Mozdev was removed the barrier for new
users would be greatly reduced.