[Project_owners] Awaiting extension upgrade approval

John Woods johnrw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 00:15:26 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk,
MultiZilla <mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> John Woods wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk,
>> MultiZilla <mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> <snip />

>>> I wonder why people keep coming up with issues about MoSomthing because
>>> you
>>> don't need it. Really!
>>
>> You kinda lost me here... what is not needed? Amo?
>
> AMO isn't an absolute necessity to release new versions of your software.
> Surely you must know that by now, especially since you post here ;)
>
>>> <snip />

>>> That was the story some time ago yes, but maybe it wasn't true or they
>>> rather wait for some fresh new interns to arrive ;)
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>> Well here are the last 3 comments on the extension... at amo's site.
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/33
>>
>> #
>>
>>    This is by far the best add-on I use. My FF3 is hurting without this.
>>
>> by Peter Ceballo on July 7, 2008
>> #
>>
>>    Googlebar is a must have for me so unless there is a compatible
>> version of Firefox then the latter does not get upgraded.
>>
>> by Martin Platt on July 6, 2008
>> #
>>
>>    Big Fan!
>>
>>    Too many days without it. I registered only to let you John that
>> I'm really grateful for your work. I love it and thank you for
>> updating it. :)
>
> I'm not one to comment on whether add-on X is any good or not, simply
> because that is, in my view, entirely up to the end-users and supports of
> it.
>
> I would however like to advise you to open your favorite IRC proggy and go
> beg for support (insert you devils smiley here).  Now seriously, this has
> got to change a.s.a.p.  I agree. And totally!
>
> Michael

Did the irc thing already, but I don't grovel very well.
I see no reason to learn because amo has stuck an extension
in http://purgatory.addons.mozilla.org.

It really does suck. MY browser already has what I want...
but this overarching control of extensions has got to stop.

If mozilla and it's brainchild... amo want users think that because
it's hosted on amo,
it's safe and qc tested... then they had damn well better hire some
people to carry that load... especially since Firefox seems
to want to make an extension out of all the good things
mozilla was good for..

Look... I am completely dissatisfied with the way things are.
Amo is not for release early, release often... kind of stuff.
It is not "their" reputation that is in question, but when it all
comes down to it... it is between the user and the author.

I know, I made some real goofball errors in the past... and
most of the users were really nice about it!

I sometimes wish mozdev.org would compete head on with that place.
It's becoming quite a cathedral over there.

Here... since I could not get to sleep tonight... I came
downstairs and looked over what kind of begging people have to
do on amo... here is what was there...(irc://moznet/addons

[22:27]	<kanjilish>	help!
[22:27]	<firebot>	kanjilish: Welcome to #addons! Just ask your
question and someone should be with you shortly. You can read more
about the new sandbox and AMO's add-on policies at
http://addons.mozilla.org/pages/policy
[22:27]	<kanjilish>	Can I please humbly make an editor review request?
[22:28]	* TestPilot	always wondered why topic say "Say "help!" to
attract our attention" - there any reason for that?
[22:28]	-->|	Brett (chatzilla at 610DDD00.7D204BF8.A5D8B2.IP) has joined #addons
[22:30]	<kanjilish>	TestPilot: a test of instruction following, perhaps?
[22:30]	<TestPilot>	must be
[22:31]	<TestPilot>	yeah, a link to new sandbox and policies
[22:31]	<Brett>	Hi...Any way to dynamically set a width on a tree?
[22:32]	<TestPilot>	Brett: #extdev #js
[22:32]	<Brett>	ok...thx
[22:32]	<--|	Brett has left #addons
[22:34]	|<--	anotherjesse has left moznet (Ping timeout)
[22:42]	<kanjilish>	well, I won't bug too much,
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7208 is ready for a
review, been in the Sandbox for 2 months, public nom for about 1 mo, a
good number of reviews for a Japanese language add-on. in Japanese we
see "yoroshiku onegai shimasu" which means something like "i beg this
favor of you, humbly".
[22:43]	<kanjilish>	humbly."

sheesh. Is that enough begging or what?
If mozdev had download tracking... and made it easier to sign my xpi's...
I would stop using amo altogether.

john woods
skype:john.r.woods