[Project_owners] Project tagging available

matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk matthew at mjwilson.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 04:30:06 PST 2008

silfreed at silfreed.net wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2008, Eric H. Jung wrote:
> > So how did "Sardinian" become a tag? Is there a rush on mozdev projects in
> > Sardinian? If not, what's wrong with "localizations" or "translations"?
> The project had already been tagged with "language" so I removed
> the "Sardinian" tag.

With respect, I think this is inappropriate.

The philosophy of tagging, as I understand it, is that which tags are used or unused comes up from the taggers - "the wisdom of the crowd" and all that. Tags shouldn't be imposed from the top level, or deemed "good" or "bad" by "management".

Take this "Sardinian" tag. OK, so there was only one use of it. But what if everyone reading this mail goes and tags their extensions with the language names of all the localisations that their extension supports? Then you have, potentially, a very useful response for speakers of French, or Russian, or whatever. By deleting "Sardinian", you are effectively preventing this kind of application.

I've tagged my projects with some tags that are probably unique to those projects, at least at this moment in time. That doesn't matter! One day there might be a project in a similar area, which might use the same tag, and then people could find them more easily.

For tags with only one project, it might not be worth displaying them on the front page. But I don't think they should be banned.

Just MO of course,

Matthew