[Project_owners] crashing firefox

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 11:41:35 PST 2008

--- Philip Chee <philip.chee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 14:05:58 -0800 (PST), Eric H. Jung wrote:
>
> > Something in one of my extensions causes Firefox 2.x and 3.x to crash
> > when the user changes active tabs using Cntl-Shift-Tab (but not
> > Cntl-Tab). Unfortunately, neither Talkback nor Breakpad are
> > triggered.
>
> > I'm having a really hard time determining the problematic code.
> > Anyone have ideas on how to pursue this?
>
> 1. Run your extension in a debug build.
> 2. Run firefox under dbg or a debugger of your choice.
> 3. Attach dTrace or sTrace to the running instance of Firefox.

Turns out there's a 4th option that's good for Windows users (I believe #3 requires
linux/unix/cygwin) and doesn't require building from source:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/How_to_get_a_stacktrace_with_WinDbg
http://viper.haque.net/~timeless/crash/

I did this with a non-debug build of a Firefox nightly from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

...and, guess what? Couldn't replicate the crash :(

Thanks guys!
Eric