[Project_owners] window.focus() failing on Linux

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 09:26:05 PDT 2008

Neil wrote:
> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
>
>> I can't get window.focus() to work on Ubuntu Linux.  It appears to be
>> limited to SeaMonkey because it works in Mozilla Firefox. Anyone found
>> a workaround for this bug?
>>
>> Note that calling window.focus() a number of times will bring the
>> window  in the foreground, but the title bar at the top has the wrong
>> color, as if it isn't really focused.
>
> This is normal behaviour for window.focus() on Linux, and we use
> identical widget code; maybe your window manager special-cases Firefox?

You mean that I have to call window.focus() a couple of time for it
works, or that when that works that the title bar isn't focused?

I use a pretty standard installation of Ubuntu, but other people are
reported the same bug(?) with other distro's ever since people expect
thing to refocus when they try to open an already opened error console
or preference window (just two examples that fail).

Thanks,
Michael