[Project_owners] Softpedia

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 10:26:37 PDT 2008

> Just after releasing an update for my adopted ThreadKey extension on AMO
> I got this "100% CLEAN award granted by Softpedia" mail. It looks
> genuine enough, but I wonder what I should do with it. Maybe the only
> thing it will do, is get some more links to the extension page, so a bit
> higher ranking on google when people search on the name? Not harmful,
> but it doesn't strike me as very useful either.
>
> And I wonder what I have done to get this listing. ThreadKey is an
> adopted extension, so maybe the creator did add it to Softpedia?
>
> Do other project owners also get these "awards"? And what do you do with
> them?

I think you'll find this article very interesting:
http://successfulsoftware.net/2007/08/16/the-software-awards-scam/
The article was slashdott'd, dugg, and reddit'd last year.

Bottom line: these "awards" are complete nonsense. I delete every one I get and don't contribute to the site's traffic by posting their "award" graphic.

Eric