[Project_owners] mozdev Forums vs mozillaZine

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 04:42:09 PDT 2008

> I already have drupal setup, so people could comment there (not that

> > they have :-)), but the chance of someone stumbling upon my forum on
> > mozdev is probably much smaller than the chance of someone seeing my
> > thread in the mozillazine extension forum.
>
> I may be wrong, but in all the discussion on planet.mozilla.org about
> the updates to AMO, I thought they mentioned there was (or will be) a
> way for extension authors to point to a custom forum (wherever it's
> located) on their AMO extension's page.  You can keep the forum
> wherever was most convenient to you and then people would be able to
> find it coming from AMO.
>
> David

You are right, they only say it's best to point to a forum. I'm just not
sure what would be the best forum to use.

And I have the same uncertainty about other pages on my project website. On
the main index.html every project has a What's new, for example, but it
would probably be more logical to Blog what's new.

Also by putting my extension on AMO, it now has two download locations. It
may be best to keep it that way, so I can more easily release new versions
first on mozdev, than to the AMO sandbox and finally to AMO public, but I'm
not sure about that either...

So I was trying to find out how other Project Owners think is the best way
to run their website, forum, download location, etc and why. Not only the
forum, but that was the trigger for me, so that's why it ended up int the
subject...

I hope that such a discussion can help me to make up my mind on how to setup
my website and help mozdev to further improve the way they present the new
features to the public...

Onno