[Project_owners] Newbie question about XPCOM strings

Ryan McLelland ryan.mclelland at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 19:07:25 PDT 2007

Hi Everyone-
I'm working on a project with some classmates of mine trying to write some
XPCOM components, and we are getting some very strange behavior from the
ns*String* classes. For some reason, any time we use any of these string
types in our code, install our extension into the browser, and run it, it
segmentation faults at the first mention of any ns*String* class. We have
tried copying numerous examples we've found on the web and have tried
recompiling the entire source a few times, but nothing seems to work (we are
developing in the mozilla build environment, not with the gecko-sdk). Any
thoughts on what could be causing this would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
-Ryan