[Project_owners] $local_conf_commits = OFF;

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Thu Oct 4 09:27:18 PDT 2007

On Thursday 04 October 2007, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> > I've modified the <link> tag to remove the trailing slash; the trailing
> > slash is XHTML 1.0 compliant, but not HTML 4.0 compliant, unfortunately.
>
> Thanks Doug, but you might want to move it to some template, or
> whatever, under control of project owners.
>
> > I've also made modifications so that "$local_conf_commits = OFF" will
> > both disable the link from being inserted as well as prevent the RSS feed
> > from working.  If people would prefer a separate option for doing these
> > activities, we can work on that.
>
> I guess having two separate options would be even better, yes.

I'll work on adding an additional option for enabling/disable whether the feed
works at all and let the $local_conf_commits control whether the link shows
up; then project owners will have the option to include the link if they
prefer.

> > We try to make sure the Content-Type header is served
> > correctly, so while it may be ugly, the RSS feed should work properly.
>
> No it wasn't, why else would I have complained here?  Simply undo your
> changes and have a look for yourself, in anything but Mozilla Firefox
> for example ;)

I'm still not sure what you're referring to; the RSS feed is detected properly
in any browser I've tried it in, despite the ugly file name.  The
Content-Type appears to be served properly to me:

$ curl -I http://www.mozdev.org/cvs_rdf.html
[...]

> A project has two different kind of visitors: a) end users and b)
> developers.  I for example don't care about anything else but /src and
> /www (but other project owners might disagree with me) while end users
> only seem to care about commits to /downloads (mostly for projects
> without news/update feeds, which we FYI have for years already).

I'll look into adding a way to include/exclude certain directories from being
reported by the RSS feed;  I'm not sure how much more filtering we could
provide than that.

-Doug