[Project_owners] FTP on mozdev [was: last day to vote]

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 23:12:11 PST 2007

Eric H. Jung wrote:
> --- David Boswell <davidwboswell at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> We did have FTP on the site early on, but it was a big security
>> vulnerability so we turned it off.  If a simple file upload feature is
>> something that would be useful, we could look into that.  Would other
>> people be interested in this?
>
> I think it's a great idea for a couple of reasons:
>
> 1. Lower barrier-to-entry for hosting on mozdev; you don't have to learn a VCS if all you want to
> do is host some mozilla-related webpages
>
> 2. Most every hosting company already offers FTP, so the learning curve for new project owners is
> nill.
>
> If security is still a concern, we could offer SCP or SFTP instead.
>
> Having said that, FTP is not a version control system and so it's out of the running for the
> current poll.

I would only allow the use FTP (optional) to upload XPI and JAR files
because the source code should be fully transparent and available in a
readable format, at all times, as in Open Source projects should let
people see/have a look what was changed during development over time,
but how should this work with for example FTP?

Enabling people here to just upload XPI's and not even having the source
code available on-line on mozdev.org is already a major pain in the
below IMHO.

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead