[Project_owners] FTP on mozdev [was: last day to vote]

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 13:13:45 PST 2007

--- David Boswell <davidwboswell at yahoo.com> wrote:

> We did have FTP on the site early on, but it was a big security
> vulnerability so we turned it off.  If a simple file upload feature is
> something that would be useful, we could look into that.  Would other
> people be interested in this?

I think it's a great idea for a couple of reasons:

1. Lower barrier-to-entry for hosting on mozdev; you don't have to learn a VCS if all you want to
do is host some mozilla-related webpages

2. Most every hosting company already offers FTP, so the learning curve for new project owners is
nill.

If security is still a concern, we could offer SCP or SFTP instead.

Having said that, FTP is not a version control system and so it's out of the running for the
current poll.