[Project_owners] Changing Proxy for one Tab Only !

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Fri Nov 23 10:04:57 PST 2007

Eric H. Jung wrote:
> --- Philip Chee <philip.chee at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Would Myk's Content Preferences extension be of any use? It allows you
>> to have separate preference settings per tab.
>>

> Not sure. Don't forget that inactive tabs can download resources, too, via XHR, javascript timer,
> or meta refresh tags. If Myk's Content Preferences works by watching for tab switches, then no,
> it's not going to help.

At the moment, it just watches for tab switches (specifically
onlocationchange and also DOMContentLoaded--but the latter only for the
current tab), although I've been thinking of adding support for
DOMContentLoaded and/or pageshow for all tabs in the next version.

But note that Content Preferences doesn't actually give you per-tab
prefs, it gives you per-site prefs.  That is, you can associate prefs
with a given hostname and then use those prefs each time a resource is
loaded from the host with that name.

So if you're looking to implement per-tab prefs, Content Preferences
won't help you much.  But if you're looking to implement per-site prefs,
it would be helpful, and in Firefox 3 you don't even need the
extension.  You can just access the built-in content pref service
directly whenever you need to retrieve the prefs for some site from
which a resource is being loaded.

-myk