[Project_owners] Changing Proxy for one Tab Only !

Eric H. Jung eric.jung at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 21:52:04 PST 2007

Unfortunately, no. If I had figured it out, FoxyProxy would already have this feature.
Proxy-per-tab is the most requested feature

I've asked lots of people for help, including Christian Biesinger, Michael Van Rantwijk, and
posted about it in various forums and mailing lists (inc. mozilla.dev.tech.network). I think right
now this problem is extremely difficult to solve and maybe not even possible without changes to
firefox. The basic problem is the difficulty in associating a downloading resource with a tab. You
can look at things like loadgroups on http-on-modify-request and try to get the associated window
(and then tab) from that, but it doesn't always work...I remember XHR-downloaded resources being
problematic in particular, and getting from the window to the correct tab also being difficult.
That said, I haven't tried this with FF3 and it might be easier now... but maybe not.

It's extremely frustrating, especially since I still don't have a firm grasp on what exactly a
loadgroup is supposed to represent.