[Project_owners] Should the website be split up?

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Tue Nov 20 23:51:58 PST 2007

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> It is becoming clear to me that something quietly changed over the
> years, after AMO came into rotation, because mozdev.org has been 'just
> that' and for many years already.

Well, lots of things have changed.  Mozilla's browser grew from being a
project used mostly by developers and techies and intended for
productization by consumer-focused organizations (like Netscape) into a
consumer product used by tens of millions of regular people.

And AMO was developed to meet the needs of those people for a managed
directory of addons, including but not limited to those whose
development efforts are hosted at Mozdev.

I don't think Mozdev ever tried to become AMO the way AMO is today,
although it has always provided the means to distribute your addon and
some tools for folks to find projects hosted on the site.

But now that AMO exists, there's even less reason for Mozdev to be a
directory of addons and more reason for it to focus on the things it
does best and which AMO doesn't (and won't) do, which is to empower
developers with the best possible tools.  Perhaps that's the subtle
change you notice.

But also keep in mind that I'm just one project owner and board member.
Others might not think the same way.

-myk