[Project_owners] Should the website be split up?

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 20 23:17:36 PST 2007

Myk Melez wrote:
> Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
>> What do you think; should the mozdev.org website be split up in an
>> area dedicated to end-users and one other for developers?
>>
> I don't think so.  I think Mozdev should focus on providing the best
> tools for developers and development communities, which can include the
> kinds of users that contribute to development by testing development
> versions, filing bugs, etc. but does not include normal end-users.

It is becoming clear to me that something quietly changed over the
years, after AMO came into rotation, because mozdev.org has been 'just
that' and for many years already.

>> David Boswell wrote:
>>
>>> There are a number of things
>>> coming up on our roadmap that will hopefully help with this.  There's
>>> the mirror work Doug is doing now and then several project listing
>>> features that he'll be working on soon.
>>>
>>> http://www.mozdev.org/resources/roadmap.html
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> All cool features for project owners and the like, but non of them
>> will improve the way we and others navigate the website, right?
>>
> It sounds to me like the "project listing improvements" task, a top
> priority that "will make finding projects easier," should improve the
> way we navigate the website to find projects, and the "centralized
> account management system" will make it easier to navigate the website
> for the purpose of configuring our projects.

These are more page oriented, like the new project list over at:
www.mozdev.org and the top 50/active project pages.  Non of them will be
making changes side wide, but like I said that might not be a goal after
all.

> There are probably lots of other navigational improvements we could make
> for better integrating the various features of the site (source code
> browsing, bug tracking, wikis, etc.).  But I think the items on the list
> are a good start, and there are lots of other important tasks on that
> list as well, like adding version control options.
>
> -myk

I love the things Doug is working on, and the things he helped me with,
and fixed, but again I am looking for things that probably will never
get implemented because I have a different (old) view on mozdev.org dark
matters.

--
Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead