[Project_owners] You are all wasting your time on mozdev.org...

Myk Melez myk at melez.com
Tue Nov 20 10:05:35 PST 2007

John Woods wrote:
> The link you provided mentions a grant... with a link to another page.
> That page doesn't have but one instance of the word mozilla. So in
> your position being on the mozdev board, you should know about the
> grants mozdev received... ie. I'll take your word for it.

The documents linked from the blog post provide all the details (along
with many others about MoFo financials).

> The wide gap I spoke of is seen through the whitelisting of amo, and
> mozdev not being on equal footing. The warning received is the same
> one you would get with a porn site when installing. That's offensive.
> Mozdev addons deserves a friendlier warning... if one must be there.

Unlike AMO, Mozdev doesn't do anything to ensure the quality and safety
of the extensions it hosts, and its focus is on development, not
distribution, so I think the warning is appropriate.

> If mozilla hires some full time testers... then the issue is also moot.

You should suggest this in the mozilla.dev.extensions newsgroup.

> Code contests here at mozdev with monetary prizes for the acceptable
> winning submissions... could do some great things... both for mozilla
> and mozdev. Like finding the next mozilla engineers. 3 million in
> prizes? How about 1/20th of that. Just a suggestion.

Note that the Mozilla Corporation is running an extensions contest,
although it doesn't offer cash prizes:

http://labs.mozilla.com/contests/extendfirefox/

I would actually be pretty hesitant to inject cash rewards into
volunteer development efforts.  The Mozilla community has a pretty
healthy group of both volunteer and employed contributors, neither of
whom are incented via cash prizes, and I think such prizes could
significantly harm both volunteer and employed efforts by distracting
folks from their intrinsic motivations for participating in the
community and disincenting them from doing anything that doesn't earn a
prize, which has a variety of negative consequences.

-myk