[Project_owners] setTimeout and Thunderbird under Mac OS X

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla mv_van_rantwijk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 14:52:07 PST 2007

Vadim Atlygin wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>    I'm developing an extension for Thunderbird and recently start
> testing it on Mac OS X. The biggest issue I found is that code like
> 	window.setTimeout(function() {
>                 //some code
> 		window.setTimeout(arguments.callee, 1000);
> 	}, 1000);
> is executed only once on Mac but works perfectly with Windows.

Interesting, sound like a Mac only bug, but...

> setInterval doesn't work either.
> I don't even know where should I look to make it work, maybe someone
> had this problem before and know work around?
> BTW, there is no errors in Error Console, so code is correct.

This isn't in a binding or component?  I mean; I have seen bindings and
components failing to throw errors, so make sure to add a try {}
catch(ex) {} clause to see what goes wrong.  Just to be sure ;)

> Any comments would be appreciated.
> Best regards,
> Vadim, developer of colorediffs extension.

Have you tried to increase the interval to say 2000 or 5000 milliseconds
because some platforms might be a lot quicker, too quick for your 1
second delay.

Also, you aren't changing |window| (which I would have checked anyways)

Michael Vincent van Rantwijk
- MultiZilla Project Team Lead
- iPhone Application Developer