[Project_owners] Firefox/SeaMonkey API parity

Philip Chee philip.chee at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 08:32:47 PST 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 14:21:45 +0000, Neil wrote:

> As part of bug 240393, Justin Wood suggests that we should try to keep
> parity with the Firefox API, in particular:
>
> isValidFeed(aData, aPrincipal, aKnown) - unless aKnown is true, verifies
> aData against a feed-detection algorithm; always performs a security check
[....]
> FeedHandler.subscribeToFeed(aHref, aEvent) - subscribes to the feed
> defined by the href or event
[....]

All the Firefox RSS readers that I've ported to SeaMonkey use their own
feed detection routines and their own feed engines.

> contentPrincipal - property on tabbrowser, shorthand for
> contentDocument.nodePrincipal

I've ported over 80 Firefox extensions to SeaMonkey and while I found
extensions that use other Firefox tabbrowser methods, none of them use
contentPrincipal. In fact a quick grep indicates that this is only
available in Minefield (Firefox 3.0a) so it is highly unlikely that any
current extensions would be using this property.

On the other hand, compatibility with the Firefox 3.0 tabbrowser API in
general would make it easier for Firefox tabbrowser orientated
extensions to be ported to SeaMonkey.

I've also suggested to Callek that he file a bug against server ops to
do a scan through all the XPIs hosted by AMO to see how many of them
make calls to isValidFeed() [1] and FeedHandler.subscribeToFeed().

[1] isValidFeed is an obvious name for this function. You may need to
check for false positives by extensions implementing their own versions.

Phil

[ ]This product was cruelly tested on small, furry animals.
* TagZilla 0.066.6