[Project_owners] intensive recursions in Javascript

Preet Shihn preetshihn at gmail.com
Mon May 7 11:21:12 PDT 2007

Heyas!

I am a semi-javascript newbie. I noticed that Javascript isn't really great
with long running recursive methods or a long running while loop that can be
memory intensive.
I see the browser popup "A script on the page may be busy, or it may have
stopped responding..... Stop the script or continue". I was wondering how
people have dealt with this. An example of such a method that I was
implementing is Flood Fill. Basically, fill a contoor with a specified
colour.

I know you can set a preference so that this message does not popup untill
you run a bazillion line (whatever you set to), but that is not what I am
looking for. I want a better performance.

Other alternatives I can think of is wrting a custom xpcom object in C that
does my computation.. or maybe a hidden java applet.

It would be good to know how other people have dealt with this problem in
general.

Thanks,
Preet

p.s. In case anyone is interested, my flood fill method is a modified
version of http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/jsp/article.php/3622321