[Project_owners] I'm not bored

Onno Ekker o.e.ekker at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:51:39 PDT 2007

On 6/21/07, Chris Neale <cdn at mozdev.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 21 June 2007 19:49, Frederik Vanderstraeten wrote:
> >
> > Could everyone calm down please? He has the right to use any hardware he
> > wants, inferior hardware doesn't remove his right to complain.
> > If you had read what he said, or if you did any effort to look at the
> > screenshot properly, or to even understand the issue, you'd see he has a
> > very reasonable request. He uses the newsgroup, *not the mailing list*.
> >
> > When using the newsgroup there is no reason for the tag at all, and it
> > isn't shown on newsgroup messages, only on messages originating from the
> > mailing list. So probably the tag should be stripped out when copying a
> > mailing list message to the newsgroup.
> > Does anyone know how to do this? I don't know Mailman, but if this
> > process is programmed in Python, I could provide a patch.
> > Please let me know if it would actually be used.
> >
> > Frederik Vanderstraeten
> >

> Mailman's mail - news gateway module can be configured to not add the
> prefix;
> although it doesn't appear to strip it out if it's already there - I made
> the
> change earlier today ...

That doesn't sound good.
If the prefix isn't stripped out, this mail will get subject "Re: [Project
Owners] I'm not bored",
but messages sent to the newsgroup will get subject "Re: I'm not  bored".
When there is news2mail forwarding, it will probably be changed to "[Project
Owners] Re: I'm not bored".
And a reply to that by mail will include another "Re: " up front...

I think mailman should maybe handle the subject lines to always strip the
prefix from anywhere in the subject line, and then put the prefix up front
in the mail?

Where can we put out feature requests for mailman?

No one appears to have noticed; probably because of the above.