[Project_owners] InstallTrigger

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Fri Jul 20 10:14:40 PDT 2007

On Friday 20 July 2007, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> I'm not familiar with SF.net so can someone please inform me how that
> works?

I'll answer your other questions by answering your last one (hopefully).

Sourceforge.net allows the project owner to upload their files to a shared FTP
space, then you select the file from a web page to "publish".  The published
downloads are then only available from Sourceforge's "projects" website.

A system similar to this would allow Project owners to "register" files for
download from Mozdev; these files could then have their hashes generated and
download links built and probably also be served from SSL.

> Note: There is also one big problem with using such SSL protected form,
> and that is that end-users are going to have to "trust us on our word"
> for not seeing the usual lock and https: in their location bar ;)

Similar to the sourceforge.net system, you wouldn't be able to have
an "install" link on your own web page.  You'd have to have that point at a
page hosted under www.mozdev.org that has a list of all files with
InstallTrigger links.  This would ensure that they're served from an HTTPS
connection and the hashes weren't being fooled with.

-Doug