[Project_owners] Can we use our own SSL certificate?

Douglas E. Warner silfreed at silfreed.net
Thu Jul 19 13:43:17 PDT 2007

On Thursday 19 July 2007, Michael Vincent van Rantwijk, MultiZilla wrote:
> Seems like SSL for our use is a dead end on mozdev.org so now my next
> question is: Can we use our own SSL certificate on mozdev.org?  Is that
> supported, and if not will it ever?

Currently it is not supported for individual projects to get their own SSL
certificate.

Unfortunately you can only have one SSL connection per IP; since Mozdev is
already using that for a certificate for "www.mozdev.org", the options are:

1) lease additional IPs from our hosting providers (if available)
2) purchase a wildcard certificate for "www.mozdev.org"

I'm not intimately involved in the web server setup, so I'm not sure what
would be required to setup an additional virtual host with the SSL
configuration for a sub domain with all the features we provide.

I'm also not sure of what the legal ramifications of having a person/group
separate from Mozdev getting a certificate for "project.mozdev.org".

Given those concerns, we can discuss supporting it at the next admin meeting.

-Doug