[Project_owners] How auto update looks for updates?

eric.jung at yahoo.com eric.jung at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 15 05:59:42 PDT 2007

Hi,

If someone has heroes-0.1.xpi installed, then Firefox's extension manager periodically checks the URL specified under em:updateURL in install.rdf of heroes-0.1.xpi for information about new versions.

Info on em: updateURL: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/install.rdf#updateURL

Example:

http://www.mozdev.org/heroes/update.rdf

When you release heroes-0.2.xpi, then you should update the file at http://www.mozdev.org/heroes/update.rdf with information about that release.

Sample update.rdf (note you can name this file anything as long as it matches what's specified in em:updateURL) here:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Extension_Versioning%2C_Update_and_Compatibility#Update_RDF_Format

Hope that helps!
Eric Jung